Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Moonglass

Title: Moonglass
Author: Jessi Kirby
Release Date: 3 May 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 232
Rated: Close to Love

Synopsis from Goodreads

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.
Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.

My Thoughts

I was really excited to read Moonglass by Jessi Kirby after reading positive reviews of it. The book got me excited for my trips to the beach coming up this summer! It highlighted beautiful parts of the beach while still noting the dangers of it. But, I was able to easily forget the bothersome aspects of the beach (my fear of fish and annoyance with sand) and I was able to instead imagine the most glorious views from the descriptions of thing like the "water that sparkled gold as the sun mad it's way toward the horizon."

I initially connected with Anna through her unwillingness to ask the questions that run through her mind about her mother or the run down cottage. It's something I've found myself doing with my own mother. If I've been irritated with her, I'll avoid saying anything to her, even if it's a perfectly decent subject she would love to talk about. I do it because I'd rather not talk to her at the moment, and I'll choose to stay quiet.

While I was able to connect with Anna this way, I found myself losing my connection with her the farther I got in the book. Events, thoughts, inklings, and everything else became too perfectly interconnected. The ideas seemed to stretch too far and incorporate too much. The material became heavier in meanings and emotions, and now... I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it anymore.

The romance wasn't the main focus of Moonglass. Anna's coming to terms with her mother's death is the center topic. When the romance did pop up, it failed to bring forth a spark strong enough to catch my attention. I can imagine the appeal of the attractive lifeguard that's reluctant to fall for the girl at first, but I never became attached to Tyler. I was waiting to fall for him.

Moonglass is a quick read and the writing is pleasant. I enjoyed Anna's narrative and the wonderful scenery. But, the book fell flat for me in a few areas. I did like it, but perhaps I was expecting too much out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I always really appreciate your honest feedback to books. I think this is very good for everyone. Even when they aren't a perfect fit for you.

    ReplyDelete