Sunday, September 11, 2011

Soul Surfer

Title: Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board             
Author: Bethany Hamilton
Release Date: 5 Oct. 2004
Publisher: MTV
Pages: 240

Synopsis from Goodreads

That Halloween morning in Kauai, Hawaii -- a glorious part of the world, where it's hard to deny the divine -- Bethany responded to the shark's stealth attack with the calm of a girl with God on her side. Pushing pain and panic aside, she immediately began to paddle with one arm, focusing on a single thought: "Get to the beach...." Rushed to the hospital, where her father, Tom Hamilton, was about to undergo knee surgery, Bethany found herself taking his spot in the O.R. It's the kind of coincidence that isn't mere coincidence to the Hamilton family, a clan whose motto could easily be "the family that surfs and prays together stays together." To them it was a sign someone had a greater plan than the one they'd been working on themselves -- which had been to scrape together whatever resources they could to help Bethany rise to the top of her sport. When the first thing Bethany wanted to know after surgery was "When can I surf again?" it became clear that her unfaltering spirit and determination were part of a greater story -- a tale of courage and faith that this modest and soft-spoken girl would come to share with the world.

My Thoughts

I can't remember ever reading an autobiography before now. That being said, I also don't know how to review one. I don't think I can say this IS a review. I'll just pass along my thoughts on it.

A couple weeks ago I watched the movie Soul Surfer. It has just come out on DVD and I had wanted to see it. Bethany's story is one that I had heard little things about for years, but never the full story. However, I was very curious to hear more. I thought the movie was amazing. I kept thinking about her, so I got on her website. Then I had to read her book. What an amazing story!

I am not religious. At all. Nothing against religions, but I don't want to hear someone preach at me, so I almost never read books where that is an important fixture in the characters/peoples' lives. Well... I thought her faith was really cool. Doesn't make me want to join her, but it is inspiring.

My thoughts are scattered. Let me say that she is an incredible person who I admire and she has a strong passion. I never knew much about surfing, but now I think it sounds really fun!

I found this video on Bethany's website and I had to share it. I can't get enough of the song. It won't let me show the video, so you'll have click on the link.

2 comments:

  1. oh i love this review. i have read this book too and really was (surprisingly) challenged by it. she has such an amazing outlook on life :) cant wait to see the movie :)

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the movie...seems like it would be a great book!

    *Also, in an effort to make blog reading easier, I am encouraging everyone to turn off "word verification" in your settings. It makes it hard for people on phones to comment. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete