Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Bloodlines

Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: 23 Aug. 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 421
Rate: The Best to Love

Synopsis from Goodreads

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

My Thoughts

I saw nearly every twist coming way before it hit. There were a few things I didn't predict, but for the most part the entire story was obvious. I didn't really mind it, though; I was too eager for every predictable twist to be officially revealed.

In the Vampire Academy series each book was more intense than the ones before it. The first book had conflict with irritating people in school, but the later books had so many astonishing twists that the petty kids didn't matter. There were petty teenagers in Bloodlines and I felt like they were fillers for more intense drama to come. Don't worry, there was still fighting, mystery, and a hint of romance that I'm sure will be explored later. This book is easing us into the story and letting us get to know the characters.

Sydney is a great character; she's cautious, smart, and relatable. She tried to protect people, and her efforts kept being thrown back in her face. I know her sister, Zoe, will eventually be thrown into their world. And Jill, she tried so hard to take care of Jill, but she went about it in ways that weren't helpful and Jill became frustrated. I wasn't sure how her personality would turn out, and I'm happy to say she's likable in a completely different way from Rose.

I was delighted to read Sydney's thoughts on Rose. Little things would make her think about Rose, and I was struck by how she touched people. I was so used to being in her head that I didn't think much about her influencing others.

I'm glad Adrian was still hung up on Rose. There was no way he could have been over her that quickly. When he came into Vampire Academy I was against him because I loved Dimitri so much. Now I had the chance to completely appreciate him and sigh over the good and bad pieces of him.

VA is my all time favorite YA series and I am overjoyed that I love this book. I can't wait to get my hands on The Golden Lilly!

No comments:

Post a Comment