Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: Born Wicked

Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Release Date: 7 Feb. 2012
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 326
Rates: The Best to Love

Synopsis from Goodreads

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word . . . especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

My Thoughts

Many people have been waiting to get their hands on Born Wicked. However, the synopsis left me with only a mild interest in the book. I am so very, very glad I read it. It has been a while since I read a book with girls in corsets this was this incredible. Witches and prophecies have a taken on a new light in my eyes. Lately, I've been tired of the spins in magical novels, but this book reminded me how wonderful a story about witches, secrets, and courting can be.

Cate, Maura, and Tess, the three sisters, are rich with personality. Maura is stubborn, and she drove me a little crazy the way refused to do anything other than her way. Tess is less in your face and very intelligent. She's the quiet smart one. Cate. Oh, being in Cate's head is a pleasure. She deals with new secrets flying at her left and right. Dealing with courting and keeping her sisters safe. I'm pleased to say that she does not make poor decisions and make me shudder. For the difficulties she faces, I feel she makes good choices. She has to make decisions regarding her own feelings and wishes while thinking more about what is best for her sisters.
The boys. They are dashing men that make me grin. They make me wish I was being courted by the architect gentleman or the scholarly gardener. I'll refrain from revealing anything about them. But, let me tell you, you will never want to stop reading about them once you have started.

Jessica Spotswood created something amazing. I could not put the book down until it was finished. Witches, the Sisters, the Brotherhood, Cate and her sisters. Everyone is has secrets. Cate has choices, but she is pulled in every direction. I NEED the next book.

1 comment:

  1. Fab review! I really love that front cover for Born Wicked. Thanks for posting!

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    http://www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete