Friday, January 20, 2012

Review: The Scorpio Races

Title: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: 18 Oct. 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 409
Rate: The Best to Love

Synopsis from Goodreads

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.
My Thoughts

The Scorpio Races had me so captured I could not stop reading it even with Christmas festivities around me. It didn't event stop me from exclaiming my feelings about the book while reading it. I stayed up all night to finish it. Maggie Stiefvater wrote a book that made me to completely happy and set on edge. It is a masterpiece. She created a suspenseful story with characters that stole my heart.

Sean Kendrick. The more I read it more the powerful it became. He was hard and lovely. Kind and fierce. So at odd and different from everything else. His love for his capaill uisce was as magnificent as the creatures. His love for Puck was more curious and giggle worthy with it's suspense.

Puck was proud and full of fight. Kate Connolly. She wanted life to stay the same, but it was changing. She was trying her best to keep her brother, her house, her horse. She was willing to do everything she could and keep her pride too.

The deadly creatures in this book make for an intense story when paired with the proud people on Thisby. The pride and other motives compel these characters to enter the race that many will not live through. The sea horses are terrifying and fascinating. The Scorpio Races captured me from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment