Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Release Date: 18 Oct. 2007
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 336
Rated: The Best to Love

Synopsis from Goodreads

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My Thoughts

Jay Asher walks you with Clay through the events that lead Hannah to take her life and where they took place so astonishingly well you won't be able to forget their story. Even though it's about an awful situation that I thought I might not be able to handle reading about I couldn't put the book down. There was a perfect balance that kept me from bawling through the book. It goes back and forth between Hannah and Clay so that you understand the full impact it has on a person, yet you can handle it without wanting to stop.

Through the book you're learning about Hannah's life. You want everything to be okay for Hannah even though you know it won't be. You know the ending, but you still can't help but be completely attached to her. Clay reacted to the tapes so strongly I just wanted to hug him. Who wouldn't? Some of the people involved did horrible things, but others did small things that wouldn't be so terrible if not for everything adding up.

Jay Asher did an incredible job on this book. It leaves you contemplating how your actions shape other peoples lives. But, really, it's an amazing read that I loved. I can't believe it took me this long to read it. If you haven't already, read it!


8 comments:

  1. I can't believe I've waited so long to read this one! I have GOT to read it soon! Like you, I was afraid it would be too intense, but it sounds like it's got a great balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many amazing things about this novel before and after reading your review, I want to pick it up even more! The whole synopsis already makes my heart flutter and I can't imagine how it would actually feel to read this book.

    Great review, Aliya -- as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This is definitely one I hope to get my hands on soon.

    I have something for you over at my blog! :D
    http://letsevaluate.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-got-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was truly wonderful - so glad that you enjoyed it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great. And Jay Asher is hilarious in person. Such a powerful book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with your review! Jay Asher did an amazing job of showing us how your actions really do affect people. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing so many amazing things about this book! I seriously need to read it! Great review--you make the book sound so powerful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished this one up on auido and wow it was so powerful. I almost thought it was better to listen to this one because of how Clay was listening to the tapes himself. It almost makes the story seem real.

    Great review btw, you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete