Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review: The Billionaire's Unexpected Heir

Title: The Billionaire's Unexpected Heir
Author: Kathie DeNosky
Release Date: 13 Oct. 2009
Publisher: Silhouette
Pages: 192
Rated: Close to Love
Won from Ashely at The Blogging Book

Synopsis from Amazon

Becoming the new owner of Hickory Hills Thoroughbred farm was not in billionaire Jake Garnier's plans. Becoming a father was even more unimaginable. For his new business came with one Heather McGwire, ranch manager...and mother to Jake's secret child.

After barely surviving his own father's desertion, Jake knew he couldn't walk away from his responsibilities. Marriage seemed the only solution. Yet Heather wouldn't settle for simple sweet talk and seduction. If Jake wanted a real family, he'd have to saddle up for the long ride.

My Thoughts

A while ago I realized that I don't care for Harlequin books. They aren't bad, but they are never my favorite books, but I did find this to be a great book. Seeing a modern view of the horse farm, races, and classy parties was a nice change and an entertaining setting. I am one of those girls to swoon over a guy who adores children, and it was so sweet to see Jake get to know his little girl and fight for Heather's attention. 
 
I enjoyed the book, but there were little things about it that irritated me. First off, I'm tired of love at first sight. I became annoyed that in every scene they began kissing. I understand that it's a Harlequin romance novel, but I prefer a book in which the juicy parts are hyped up from the rarity and agonizing wait of them. Sure, they weren't doing the dirty the entire book, but Heather and Jake were making out so often that it was hard to get excited for their interactions. Also, the number of times the word "honey" was used irritated me.

Heather easily fell for Jake, I mean, who wouldn't? He was sweet and still pulled off being enough of a 'bad' boy to be completely alluring. I'm glad Heather was strong willed enough to be cautious of Jake because he didn't sound promising at first, but, yes, I'm also glad she didn't put up too much of a fight against him.

I like the names that were chosen. I have a baby cousin named Lila Arielle, and those are the names of two characters that appeared in the book. I approve!

Overall, I thought it was a pleasant read. Cute, sweet, sexy. Jake's family sounded nice and I wouldn't mind reading their stories!

2 comments:

  1. Cute. But I'm with you...I like either dark paranormal romance or YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I dont know how to work twitter yet. I just saw today that you had mentioned me.

    Thanks for the shout out! This is a great review!

    ReplyDelete