Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: The Name of the Star

Title: The Name of the Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Release Date: 29 Sep. 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 384

My Summary

When Rory moves from a small town in Louisiana to a boarding school in London the city is going wild over a murder similar to Jack the Ripper's first murder. It soon becomes clear Jack the Ripper's attacks are happening all over again. Rory is getting used to boarding school life with a roommate and a cute boy when she becomes the only witness to have possibly seen the murderer. But is there a reason she is the only witness? He was right there and her roommate never noticed him. Was it only her imagination? Before she knows it, Rory's world has been drastically changed and her life is at risk.

My Thoughts

This book is crazy! It's intense with a great mystery that's scary, and there's even romance! I had never read anything on Jack the Ripper before, but now I feel quite farmilar with his story. Really, I don't know much on the topic, but I think Maureen did a great job researching! I actually had a grusome dream because of the book. The amount of action through the scenes in the book worked great. All I wanted to do was read this book until I finished it. 

Rory was great! The main character of a book will get on my nerves, but she felt real in a not annoying way. Her reactions to everything saw she and found out was perfect, especially since I can imagine how hard her reactions would be to write. I enjoyed all of the characters. Jerome was okay, I didn't dislike him, but I would rather her be with Stephen. I really like Stephen! But I also have a thing for cops. The balance between the characters felt right, I mean, no one was only appealing or only annoying. They all had well developed personalities. And, of course, Ripper was creepy!

Maureen is a writer I am always entertained by. I always want to read more by her, whether it's books or Tweets. She is funny and has crazy ideas. My curiosity to hear what will happen to her characters next continues. I am dying to read the next book!

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this now! It's super creeptastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really interested in Jack the Ripper, especially since they never caught him or figured out who he is. And I love Maureen Johnson. Definitely adding this to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to grab this at BEA while I was there but the line was SOOOO long. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of great things about this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete