Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Where I Belong

Title: Where I Belong

Author: Gwendolyn Heasley

Date Published: 8 Feb. 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 304

My Summary

Corrinne lives in luxury in New York City, spending money without a care, going to classy parties, and attending a private school. Corrinne and her best friend will soon be leaving to Kent - a boarding school - when her father gets laid off in the recession. Corrinne's life is turned around when she is forced to move to Broken Spoke, Texas, join a public school, and get a job shoveling manure. She resents her parents for forcing her into the situation and plots her escape from small town life. But when her friend from New York comes to visit, she finds she has changed since she arrived at Broken Spoke. Maybe her Grandparents aren't so bad, and she is even making friends, plus, there are some irresistible hotties.

My Thoughts

This book sounds better than it is. I was genuinely looking forward to reading this book because I was looking for a YA western romance and because I read a good review on it. However,  I expected too much from it. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an awful book. The main character started out annoying and I thought she would evolve into a more appealing person, but by the end I still didn't particularly like her. The romance did not go as I had hoped it would. I didn't read it for the romance, but I did think it would have more substance. The book seemed to end abruptly without resolving all the kinks. It could have easily continued into another chapter to round it off.

There was a substantial amount of information on each character to know them decently. I knew them, but I didn't like them! I want to like the characters I read about. Some of them were sweet and fun, and all of the characters were realistic. Kitsy was cute, the brother made me go "Awwe!", and I want the Grandma to cook for me! The food sounded delicious... Her Mom was annoying.

Heasely's writing? Well she kept me reading. I read it in a day and ignored my company because I wanted to see how everything would turn out. Most of the conversations in the book were believable. There were a couple ridiculous parts, like when Corrinne said "But yeah, I'll go to the dance with Bubby because you two are my only friends in Broken Spoke, so I want to be with you guys."  She is a proud person and would not let any insecurities of that magnitude show, much less spell them out in those words. She is not a character to appear pitiful.

I am picking apart this book, but it wasn't a bad read. I enjoyed sitting down and reading it on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. This is Gwendolyn's YA debut, and I look forward to reading more by her in the future. Congratulations on it, Gwendolyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment